In 1729 in England, a small group of Oxford University students led by John and Charles Wesley held their ground against jeering students and went out to preach and pray. The United Methodist Church is the result of the 1939 merger of three Methodist bodies (Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal South and Methodist Protestant churches), and a 1968 union of the Evangelical United Brethren and the The Methodist Churches.
The first Methodist Church in Keokuk was started in 1842 at 325 Exchange St. and was called the First Methodist Society. In 1869 they moved to 9th and Bank St., built a church and changed their name to First Methodist Episcopal Church. From 1869 – 1910 the German MC, Swedish MC and Chatham Square M.E. Church joined together to form Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church at the corner of 10th and Main St. in Keokuk, Ia. at that time there was 645 members. From 1910 – 1940 the membership of the church grew to 880 people, concern for growth needs began and so the lot next to the building on 10th and Main was purchased.
After looking at drawings and plans for the expansion it was apparent that the project would cost more than anticipated. At this point a Committee set to work and presented to the congregation on Dec. 20, 1959…that they build a new church on the Jones site, on the corner of Plank Road and Washington St. On Palm Sunday March 1961 was the ground breaking and on May 1,1961 construction began. Then on May 20,1962 one year later the church was consecrated by the Bishop of the Iowa area conducting the service. On June 10,1962 there was an open house held, the membership at this time had grown 1,080. We have now celebrated 50 year here at this beautiful church, the word of God and salvation of mankind has been carried to the people of Keokuk through this Methodist Church.